Trig-Out

A saucy female perspective on sports pop-culture

Monday, March 20, 2006

Sex, Sports, and Videotape

I was a social butterfly this weekend, taking part in the St. Patrick’s Day debauchery, witnessing plenty of NCAA action, dining in fine establishments, and throwing around my intellectual enthusiasm. When faced with these social situations: bars, dinner, and clubs, it’s no wonder why I love and follow sports so much…it is the perfect flirtation tool!

On Friday night, I was invited out to several noisy Irish bars in Midtown, Manhattan, for some green beer and standing-room only livelihood with my work colleagues. What I love about my work colleagues are that most of us fall in that 25-35 age range and we all get along pretty well. We have a NCAA pool going on in our office so it has been the topic of conversation for the past few days. By 8:30PM on Friday, not only were most of us a little giddy from the lager, we were also growing anxious with the UConn/Albany game. Since I’m not a girl who likes to consume mass quantities of beer and ironically I’m not the biggest club dancer, I would have felt a little awkward standing in this bar trying to come up with things to talk about to my cohorts. TO THE RESCUE: SPORTS!!! Thank God I know how to talk about something that most American men can chat-up. If women should following anything in current events, it shouldn’t be the “best dressed list,” it should be anything listed on ESPN.com or in the pages of Sports Illustrated. Being able to talk about, discuss, and argue the latest sports topic has saved my life…and gotten me some digits and dates on the side.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am a fun girl, but when you tell your colleagues that you had a callback for “Elphaba” in the musical “Wicked” and they ask “you had a callback for the alphabet in Washington?,” clearly, they aren’t going to know how to continue this conversation. On the other hand if you say “I need a Stella to drink and someone please tell me that the Big Ten isn’t going to cough up another loss,” then they have something to work with! I was able to maneuver myself around the bar that night by socializing between the various basketball games and making great conversation with my work cronies. Sports acts as an ice-breaker. It’s what I use as my “in” and then once the conversation gets rolling and you’ve made the male counter-part feel at ease and other topics will fall in to place.

Sports are perhaps the best tools to use in flirtation techniques. On Saturday night, over a dinner with friends, we discussed how sexy it is for a women to pick up a man. Some women choose a more coy and subtle approach, such as suggestive eye-contact and deliberate body language. Hardly surprising, the men at the table laughed at this approach because they admitted having a hard time “decoding” these mixed messages. Thinking about my own “pick-up” techniques, I realized that as much as I use my naïve sense of self-perception, I utilize my knowledge of pop-culture, current events, and SPORTS! For example, if you’re lucky enough to be at a bar with a TV (and most often sports will be tuned in) and you spot a handsome man perusing the TV and yourself…why not break the ice with “tickets to the BCS Championship or tickets to the NCAA Final…what would it be?” Trust me, this will get the guy’s attention way more than “can you tell me what time it is?” I absolutely enjoy the puzzled look that comes across the man’s face as he looks back at this quizzical girl who randomly took the seat next to his. Of course, you have to be able to back up your opening line, so you’d better know more than the obvious catch-phrases of the year and be able to explain when the “Bush-Push” actually happened, and know how a team becomes a “Cinderella.” I can’t tell you how many times, while participating in on-line dating, I had hits and comments from guys who seemed more turned-on by my desire to be a sports reporter for ESPN than they were by my sexy little beach-bikini photo.

Bottom line, sports are things that most men can relate to and talk about. It’s a safe “starting position.” Although, like most one-liners, you have to know how to use your opening line and manipulate its meaning to get what you want, but when you start on neutral ground, you can easily persuade your target to navigate over to your true intentions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home